Monitors are a really simple item in your computer setup, but they can be a big problem if something happens to make them stop working or communicating with the computer tower. Having working monitors for your Dell PC is critical. Thankfully, there are some really easy ways to troubleshoot this issue, and most of the time, the solution is really simple.
A “no signal” error message on a Dell monitor typically means that the monitor is not receiving any video input signal from the computer or other device that it is connected to.
What to Check When Your Dell Monitor Says No Signal
These are the steps that you should take when your Dell Monitor says that it has no signal:
- Check the VGA or HDMI cable. Make sure that it is connected. Make sure to try swapping with a known good cable to check if this is the reason for the disconnect.
- Attempt to reconnect the existing cable if you have noticed that it is not seated properly.
- Swap the ends of the VGA or the HDMI cable that are connected to the monitor and the computer.
- Press Button 1 and get access to the Input Source Menu. Use Button 1 or Button 2 to switch between HDMI and VGA inputs. You will use Button 3 to confirm your selection.
- If you still cannot get the monitor to display, you will need to contact your Dell Technical Support person. This should be an in-warranty repair for most devices.
If there is no image on the monitor, you will need to use the input key or the Button 1 option to see if you can access a menu. If the OSD is locked, hold Button 4 for 10 seconds to unlock it. You should then see the menu setting options on the screen. This can happen from time to time, and the display will show a clear sign that the menu is locked if this is the problem. If the menu shows up, the monitor is not likely to be your problem. Often the trouble with display monitors that are not displaying anything is a connection between the computer and the monitor.
If the monitor does not power on, then you need to consider the issue something that might be related to the monitor specifically. It is always a good idea to check that the computer itself is getting power as well. This can be overlooked because people get focused on the lack of monitor display and forget about the computer part of the setup on their desks.
Dell Monitors Are Easy to Troubleshoot
Troubleshooting your Dell monitor is a really simple process and one that you can undertake yourself in most cases. You will want to be sure that you try all of these steps before you reach out for warranty work from Dell. You will have to wait for Dell to get back to you, and you might just be missing something simple like a VGA or HDMI cable issue. Being sure that you have tried all of the troubleshooting steps is always a good idea, and it will save you time in the long run.
This article was last updated on March 20, 2023 .